Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Ritzy Tea

Click now for JiffNotes

teacup A couple weeks ago, Michael and I went to tea at the Ritz-Carlton Buckhead. This is actually where he proposed to me (at tea), after a morning of surprises (but that's another post for another day). The atmosphere would kind of remind you of an old English manor house. window view They currently serve Mighty Leaf (loose) tea. We're huge fans of their tea bags, since we are, as I may have mentioned, tea snobs and don't generally like bagged tea over loose.
savories The sandwiches were wonderful. From bottom to top, we had cucumber-cream cheese-topped pita with hummus and asparagus, a sun-dried tomato, feta and olive tart, salmon and egg on toast, a bacon and gruyere quiche and a dual-layer wheat sandwich filled with a pesto and curried chicken salad, separated by brioche. They were all good, but we raved over that last sandwich, so our server brought us each another! This may explain why we didn't quite make it through the pastry tower.... pastry tower We had to take the entire bottom layer (all chocolate!) home! The best thing on that layer was the black forest cup: a chocolate cup filled with a brownie square and brandied cherries, topped with white chocolate mouse and chocolate shavings. *drool* I must also mention the seven-layer bars, because this is one of the places the Ritz goes above and beyond: You could tell the pecans in the bars were toasted. Sure, it might not make that much difference to some people, but I can totally taste the difference!

Even though the scones were not served warm (precious few tea rooms do this, although they should be served first, before the sandwich course, just out of the oven), they were very good. And the best part... scone with clotted cream The Ritz has Devonshire (clotted) cream!! When I was taking the half-jar that Michael left home with me (notice I did not have any left!), our server asked if I'd like a fresh jar (!!) to take with me. Yes, please! When she returned, she not only had a fresh jar of clotted cream, but also another jar of strawberry preserves...and another scone!! scone w/jam Yummmmmmm.....

JiffNotes
Even though the Ritz's tea service is somewhat pricey, it gives you a large volume of very, very good food. The strawberries and champagne add-on aren't worth it, in my opinion.

7 comments:

Jean in Georgia said...

Looks yummy! Maybe we'll check it out one day. :)

Anonymous said...

The world would be a better place if we all got to experience Devonshire cream on a daily basis. OH, the yum!

Le sigh...

Annie said...

You must have the best husband in the world. Tea at the Ritz... sounds like heaven.

Erin (moviemuse) said...

Awesome! I only tried double cream and clotted cream a couple of years ago, but wow, why don't we have that in this country?! (Well, besides at the Ritz, LOL)

Autumn said...

Tried to send this to your email and it didn't work....

Heather,

I didn't have to send her any appendages or offspring either. All three of those came to about $350. I don't know how much framing costs in your area, but I probably came out ahead sending it to her. In fact, I know I did. Triple matting and all that, I definitely came out ahead sending it to her. On the down side, I did have to be patient, it took about 3 months to get it back. She has an employee out with medical problems and his wife also works for her so she basically has two employees out. I'd highly recommend her, just to try out at least once for something different.

Autumn

Dani - tkdchick said...

OMG! You're making me hungry! Stop it!

dera frances white said...

clotted cream = happiness. whole foods has it (in case you want a little ritz at home). your tea looked sooo nice.

Old Geek-outs