Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Theme-a-licious May Memories Wrap-Up



Whew! I am happy to say that the last half of May Memories resulted in more done than the first half, although...maybe it still wasn't that much...and maybe not what I'd planned on...

BUT HEY! Let me distract you from my failure to meet my goals with PICTURES!!

First up, I bought this little kit when I went to Arizona for the Chocolat class. I promptly finished the bee...
...and then got bogged down when I realized I didn't like the skep for the other side. Rather than do the sane thing and leave it blank, stitch my initials or just stitch that darn bee again, I decided to chart my alma mater's famous "GT" for the back! This resulted in me holding the chart over DF Teresa's iPhone while I sketched in the outline..."pinch and pull" works through paper, did you know that??? Anyway! I finally stitched the curved outline of the "G", and I think it's going to work out.

I started on the fun part of the border of Blackwork Band Sampler.
I don't consider the two rows of over-two satin stitch "fun". "Tedious", maybe, but not fun. I can't wait to do more of this border.

Finally, my last old class piece for the month. This is an Ellen Chester class from (*mumble*mumble*) years ago. I really love this and it's very fun to stitch. Each red and white stripe is a different stitch. If you ever get the chance to take a class from Ellen, do it! She is a great teacher (and very patient!) and she gives you lots of awesome history while you're stitching. Her kits also use the most beautiful (silk) fibers!

Les Rubans fans...I'm so sorry to disappoint you. =( I really wanted to work on it! However, I think all of this was done on my Celebration weekend, and I couldn't haul it on the airplane. Double fail: There was a lady there working on it (in the "antique" color scheme...mine's "jewel") and I DIDN'T GET A PICTURE!! I promise you'll see mine again, though.

Let's stampede on to...
Jumanji June
Is it a jungle out there in your stash? Give some love to the projects with animals or birds.

Here are my plans...
  • There's a little cat just waiting for me to stitch on her on Random Thoughts. =)
  • Keep a Secret's peacock needs some love.
  • The reindeer games are waiting for my Lapland Santa's friend.
  • Need...more...squirrels! My Rovaris sampler has quite a few.
  • Dancer!!!
I might also start a little something I've been wanting to start...or drag a dragon out of the stash, who knows? =)



So how did May Memories turn out? Did you complete some reminiscences or make some new memories? Please add your link below (to your check-in post), and visit some other Themers if you can (everyone loves comments and encouragement!) Our next post will be on the 15th, when we'll check in for Jumanji June! And don't worry if you haven't posted before...just jump in whenever.



16 comments:

McKenna C. said...

Beautiful stitching! That's funny about seeing her.....I've only seen someone cross stitching in public once. :)

~McKenna

Ziggyeor said...

great stitching. I did some on my big piece but I don't know that it's enough to tell. I've been working on a Love Quilts Square at work and did my Olympic Relay Piece. I like the flag you're stitching.
I don't know what I will stitch for June. I suppose my dragon still counts as an animal.

Lija Broka said...

Well done on the stitching. Nice kits!

Anonymous said...

they're such beautiful projects, which if you ask me gives them all the right to be part of May Memories..! ;D
I did even worse.. (definitely going to complain about it in my next post..!)
happy xxx!

Richard Rose said...

Very nice work! I didn't have anything for May Memories and I'm not sure if I'm going to have anything for Jumanji June as none of my current projects have anything to do with jungles. Maybe I'll make another owl or some other animal.

Unknown said...

Great work and I love the kits, looking forward to June. :)

Heather said...

Great job. I really like the flag needlecase. I wonder if anyone has ever designed a Canadian one...

Jenny said...

I am in love with the blackwork sampler, Heather, but I totally understand why you feel how you do about the double satin-stitch border. It looks fabulous though - well worth all the hours! :-)

I am so jealous of your Chocolate class! I love that piece and I bet you had a ton of fun. Can't wait to see what you did on class.

A bunch of ladies in my guild just took the flag class (Ellen is a member of our guild, but I have managed to miss her every time I go...) and it really is a pretty project. It looks like you have gotten quite a bit done - yay!

Sherrie said...

Hi Heather,
Great progress on your projects. Love the Black Sampler, beautiful. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Food for Thought
http://100sweets.blogspot.com/2012/05/theme-licious-may-memories-wrap-up.html

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Great Memories stitching. I like the vines that go round the satin stitch border.

I've posted my link for May Looking Back and June Looking Forward

Jan Gartlan said...

I love, love, love the celebration stitch with all of the flags. Your other pieces are looking great too! I'll post my update today.

Ellen said...

Wow, you have been busy Heather. Love all of your pieces, especially the Blackwork Sampler.

Thank you very much for the very kind words about the class. Keep me posted on your progress on the needecase. Hope to see photos of the completed project soon.

Sue said...

The bee is striking. Good for you putting your alma marta's letters on the back. I've not thought about my alma marta for yonkee's donks. The blackwork is looking good. The rose is a lovely addition.

woolwoman said...

Great post Heather - you have so many gorgeous projects stashed - I really should get back on the Long May she Wave needlecase from Ellen - it is such a wonderful piece. Can't wait to see what wildlife you pull out for June. Enjoy your weekend - mel

Melanie said...

Ooooof. I'm cringing inside just looking at all that satin stitch. YIKES. It's SUCH a pretty piece though.

Karoline said...

They are all looking lovely, I second everything you said about taking a class with Ellen.

Old Geek-outs