Thursday, June 14, 2012

Theme-a-licious Jumanji June Check-In



Well, I can't say that I have very much to show for this month, since I was gone for the first ten days of it! I did manage to get some time with my Lapland Santa, though:

That's starting to look like a deer!

I did take some animal-related knitting with me! Remember when I crafted my own sock club? Well, I picked the robot bag, and I was kind of hoping for one particular pair of socks to come out of the bag, and they did! So animal-related! See, I got some limited edition yarn at some point that is made from...possum (and wool)!

See, it's not like "normal" yarn, which is just made from wool! You know, 'cause that just comes from...uh...um...sheep.

Uh....

So I used this yarn which is made from TWO ANIMALS!!

I cast on these socks during our long layover in Washington, D.C., in the comfort of the Air France lounge. But I'm really not sure I like this yarn with this pattern (Rhodie Gus). I LOVE the colors of the yarn, I just don't like the way they're playing with this pattern. I think this pattern would be better off with a yarn with longer color runs, like a Noro sock yarn. I feel like the color changes are obscuring the pattern, which I also love.
The back side of yarn.

I think this yarn may actually want to become these socks instead. So much for my "careful" sock club "planning".



So how your is Jumanji June going? Are you taming some beasts or do they have you on the run? Please add your link below (to your check-in post), and visit some other Themers if you can (everyone loves comments and encouragement!) Our next post will be on the 30th, when we'll wrap up Jumanji June and talk about Jolly July! And don't worry if you haven't posted before...just jump in whenever.



11 comments:

Anonymous said...

love the Santas series.. did you see this years' collection? it's TROPICAL SANTAS!! :D
http://www.wichelt.com/detail.html?pid=171620
http://www.wichelt.com/detail.html?pid=171619
http://www.wichelt.com/detail.html?pid=171618

Chris said...

I love those santas :)
Pretty sock start too.

Shirlee said...

Who is the designer of the Lapland Santa? PS? I like him alreaday : ) Love the socks! I've never done socks on circulars 2 at a time ... I learned the old way, one at a time with 4 DPNs. Don't know if I could wrap my brain around this other way : )

Heather said...

Yes, the Hexagons. Definitely.

It's gone in my queue too!

Sherrie said...

Hi Heather,
Love your little deer, he's coming along nicely. Being a crocheter I love that yarn, beautiful. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Food for Thought
http://100sweets.blogspot.com/2012/06/theme-licious-jumanji-june-check-in.html

Southpaw Stitcher said...

Heather, I love the socks you are knitting, and the reindeer (yes, I can see a reindeer). I took your advice and "jumped in" to Theme-A-Licious for the first time this year because I actually stitched an animal in June! My post isn't quite up to Theme-A-Licious guidelines, but hey! There's a rabbit!

Karoline said...

Nice start on the Santa & I like the colours in the yarn

Melanie said...

That would be I had to start stepping away from the variegated sock yarns. I love love love the way they look in the skein but it can be *SO* difficult picking a pattern that really 'works' with them vs. against them. I do love the colors here though!

Jenny said...

Wow - possum yarn! I would love to see that wool farm... LOL How does the yarn feel? Is it softer or heavier or how is it different?
Your Santa looks fabulous, but it looks like a lot of confetti. I am too lazy to stitch anything with confetti in it nowadays.. may be why PT has been neglecetd for 5+ years at home... hmm, maybe I should enter him in the Jumanji challenge.

Yana Hanim said...

just put my link, missed the thumbnail :D will start my project tonight :)

have fun stitching... yuana

AimeeWrites said...

You know, I'm not playing along, but ironically, I am working on this (http://www.ravelry.com/projects/AimeeCrochets/fish-hat-dead-or-alive) this month!

Old Geek-outs