Thursday, March 10, 2016

Loopy Academy Sophomore Year, Semester 2, First Project!

Click now for JiffNotes

I have already finished my first project for Loopy Academy this semester! The assignment was to knit socks whichever way you have the least experience with--toe-up or top-down. Well, since participating in the Cookie A Sock Club for two years, I definitely had more experience knitting top-down! I also knew I wanted a pair in worsted (or maybe sport) for two reasons:
  • I am a slow knitter, so I needed the yardage to be as close as possible to the required 225 yards! Socks knit in "sock yarn" (or fingering) run about 400 yards.
  • The first pair of socks I ever knit, a super-snuggly pair in worsted weight, were very close to giving up the ghost, and my feet get very cold on cold nights!

I cast these socks on in the middle of February and had the heel turned before we went to Disney for my birthday. I finished them on the way down!
Mistake Braid Socks - Ravelry project page

Good thing I brought a "back up" project with me. =) They were mindless to knit, which is a good thing, because we were listening to the novelization of "The Force Awakens" on the way down (MELODRAMATIC NARRATOR IS MELODRAMATIC). I actually cast them off at home, since casting off socks knit two-at-a-time is not that fun in the car. The night I cast them off, my old socks literally fell apart!! Of course, the next day it was almost 70 degrees F. =P

JiffNotes
I have socks! Socks that are way too warm to wear now! Socks that I will probably forget all about until I'm moaning about how cold my feet are this Fall, but won't I be happy to have them then??

11 comments:

Jackie's Stitches said...

They're gorgeous Heather! They will be a nice surprise when you find them in your drawer this fall.

Heather said...

Beautiful job! I hope they keep you warm!

rosey175 said...

Ooo yay socks! They're what I'm most excited to learn about next in our little knitty group. I love the colorway you chose and you'll be so happy in fall when they pop out of the drawer and remind you they're there. :D

gracie said...

The color and pattern is wonderful...

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Nice socks!

KimM said...

Wow! Love these socks.
xxx

Kerryp77 said...

Lovely colour yarn.

imnverted said...

Beautiful socks!

Bea said...

Love the colour and they look so cozy.

Julie said...

They looks so warm and toasty on your feet. Well done on such a super project.

jocondine said...

Great work! I'm curious, how many pair of socks have you ever knit? xxx

Old Geek-outs